Wednesday Rec - Winter Counts by David Heska Wanbli Weiden

 


So on Wednesday I have decided to start something called "Wednesday Recs" because I am cool like that. On all seriousness, I think Wednesdays are the perfect day for getting a little inspiration. I recently read this title and wanted to give it all the love because as a thriller reader it hit all the right boxes for me. Below is the review I gave on Goodreads

Winter Counts by David Heska Wanbli Weiden - 5 Stars!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I love a good crime novel with grit and heart and this is exactly that. This story follows a vigilante seeking justice on the Rosebud Indian Reservation and shines a light on a part of the world largely ignored by most of America. To say it is entertaining with a lot of insight would be an understatement. This is a thriller that is ticks off all the page-turning requirements while also highlighting voices needing to be heard.

I am actually hoping this might turn into a series. I know, I know, I am always asking for books to turn into series when I love them, but who wants to leave their favorite characters behind?! Fortunately there is a possibility at the end for more so my fingers are crossed! 

Virgil is our main character and is somehow violent and lovable all at the same time. Just about everything in his life makes him the underdog and you just cannot help but root for him. He is complex, flawed, but committed to his family, heritage, and justice. 

I confess I saw one of the main twists coming (I think I read too many thrillers and mysteries) but that did not lessen my enjoyment of this read. If anything it was one of those reads where it is exciting to realize you guessed correctly. Not every read executes that feeling of excitement well, but it was so well executed here.

I cannot rave enough about this novel. As stated, this is a crime novel with grit and heart and that is honestly everything I want in a crime thriller.

Comments