Wednesday Recs - A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow

 


On Wednesday I like to recommend books that have stuck with me. I especially like to choose books that I feel are under-hyped and this is one of those. If you look on Goodreads you will see that it gets great reviews, but no one is really talking about this one in the book world and they definitely should be. If you love YA magical realism with a side of social justice, this is the book for you! Bethany C. Morrow creates an alternate magical universe that you literally want to "dive into"... get it? Ok, I will leave off the terrible puns. I am done. Just if you have not read this and love YA fantasy, pick this one up and enjoy. As always I am going to leave my Goodreads review below but you can also find it HERE.

---

I am just on a streak of good reads! Holy siren reads, Batman (I mean gargoyle), this was fantastic! This was another read full of characters I loved, some fascinating world-building, and mysteries that kept me guessing. Added to the mythos and characters created was the tackling of racism, both blatant and all the ways microagressions are present in the everyday lives of Black women. I mean, damn. This book was powerful.

By the time the book was finished, I was almost sad because I wanted to spend more time with Tavia and Effie! I had the audiobook of this one so I had spent many a drive with these characters and, honestly, did not want it to end. I can't turn on the car and not hear what Tavia and Effie have to say! In fact, there is a gold mine of story possibilities here I think. Or maybe I am just hopeful. But really, there is so much in this world Morrow created that could be explored further. I want to know more about sirens, gargoyles, and elokos and their backstory. Of course, I want more Tavia and Effie. There could be a sequel, easily...I am just saying! Can this happen? I need it to.

Regardless if there is a sequel or not, as a standalone, this book was creative, meaningful, full of intriguing characters, and pretty much my favorite kind of read. I loved it.

Comments