Wednesday Recs - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

 


This is an old title. This is a back, back, way backlist title. As such it should be easier to track down than a newer release, which is sometimes nice since you do not have to be on "hold" waiting for your library TBR to come in. Since it is an older title, you may have already read this. If you have not had the joy of picking this one up yet though, I HIGHLY recommend! It is always hard for me to choose a favorite read. I have many, but this is definitely one of them and there are many reasons why.

One of the reasons I love this book so much is because it is the book that helped me fall back in love with reading. I had gone through an extremely long book rut before picking this title up on a whim. I find for many of us there are book reading seasons of life and there are seasons were our reading lives slow down. You might go years without reading a book and, honestly, this was me. I had come to a place in life where reading was very difficult for me even though it had been my favorite hobby in childhood into my young adult life. That said, in 2014 I picked this title up because the plot sounded interesting enough that maybe I would actually be able to focus on a book. This proved to be true and it was not just the plot that pulled me in, but the prose itself.

Erin Morgenstern's writing style is magical. At least it is to me and I know to many others. The way she writes is so evocative and enchanting. I am not always the most patient reader with descriptions. Sometimes overly descriptive novels bog me down (I mean, I read a lot of thrillers for a reason...) and I find myself having to push through them. I would say this is a very descriptive novel and yet, I could not put it down! I loved every single description Morgenstern wrote. 

She has since written another book, The Starless Sea, which is not as popular as The Night Circus because it is so heavily based in description but I loved it too. I may not have a favorite book, but I do have a favorite author and that is Morgenstern. Maybe pick this up and start reading at least the first couple chapters. If you are instantly transported to a magical circus then I would say don't stop reading, because it will not disappoint you.

Comments