Wednesday Recs - Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silva Moreno-Garcia

 


If you have been following the Goodreads Choice Awards, you will see that yesterday Silvia Moreno-Garcia won Best Horror for her novel, Mexican Gothic. Which, side note, is an absolutely fantastic read. It is definitely worth picking up and apparently many, many other readers agree. She has published quite a few other books however and, while I am so glad she is now getting the recognition that she deserves, I want to draw attention to some of her other works that are not as well-recognized. 

One of the main titles being, Gods of Jade and Shadow. This is an absolutely magical read. It is also an intriguing dive into Mayan mythology. There was not a page in this book that did not have my attention. While you can see some of the areas in which Moreno-Garcia is developing as a writer - admittedly some of the narrative here feels awkward - the overall impact of the book is memorable. I read it well over a year ago and it has still stuck with me. For my original review check out my Goodreads page or see below.

---

There is so much to love about this book. It covers Mayan mythology, has intriguing characters, also includes elements of the 1920s and the art deco movement, and is just a creative read overall. With all of these elements, of course I loved it! Such a fun read! 

At first the book starts out with a bit of a Cinderella tale. Casiopea is forced the do housework, serve her family, and is generally despised by almost everyone in her family. But a few short chapters later her entire world turns upside down when she meets the god of Death. Needless to say the book takes us on a ride from there.

I loved this book. I think the only thing that stopped me from giving 5 stars was the writing style. The narration was a bit stilted and it would knock me out of the story just a bit because it felt so distant. But honestly, this was is a minor complaint as everything else was fabulous. 

So glad I picked this one up!

Comments