Tuesday Reviews - The Project by Courtney Summers

 


The Project - Courtney Summers (Releases February 2, 2021) 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Well this one gutted me and I am still trying to recover. If you want to read a book that is going to leave you with some trauma, this is the one! I am only mildly joking... In all seriousness, this is so well-written and extremely compelling. It will take you on a journey and there will be times you may not know what to think or believe. It is a psychological thriller written for YA, but I believe will appeal to youth and older. If you love YA, I think this will appeal to you and/or if you love psychological thrillers, I think this will appeal to you. There are not the typical YA tropes present here so in that sense I think it is genre-busting. As always, full review on Goodreads HERE and below.

---

I had flashbacks to A Woman is No Man in the sense that my heart hurt much like it did when I finished that book; I feel like my heart was ripped out was stomped on. This really convinces you to read it, right? I actually hope so because, despite how sad parts of it were, it was an excellent read. I was not prepared for how emotional this would be, but this is my first Courtney Summers novel so if you are more familiar with her then it might not surprise you at all. I think if you are looking for a light-hearted read with a perfect happy ending, run far away. If you are looking for a gritty, psychological read this is the one for you.

The overarching theme of familial love really was well-drawn here. The relationship between the two sisters in this book, Bea and Lo, makes an impact from beginning to end. Then, of course, there is a cult to keep things interesting. I will be honest, the fact that this book was about a cult was the main reason I wanted to read this. It is not the reason I stayed though. The story of Bea and Lo is one that ultimately drew me in and had me rooting for them.

It was close to a perfectly written read, but there were a few things that made me pause. First the narrative style is a challenging. Some of the transitions are abrupt. There were times I had to go back and reread several passages just to make sure I understood where exactly I was in the narrative. There is also something that happens at then that I cannot really go into details about because, you know, spoilers! I will say the explanation for what happened was vague enough that I was left wondering not what happened, but how it happened. I have questions!! 

This gets released in 2021 and I really think it needs to skyrocket to the top of many reader's TBR for 2021. It is one of those reads you see on a shelf after you have read it and turn to your friend to say, "This is a good book."

Comments