Suspense Worth Binging - The Stillhouse Lake Series by Rachel Caine

 


When I tell you I found this series at the exact right time, I am not kidding. Sometimes books find you just when you need them. Or it is you find books just when you need them? Either way, I needed some intense reads to distract me and these were the books that did just that when I needed it. In fact, looking back I think this series will have a special place in my heart because they got me through a challenging time.

If you enjoy suspense and thrills, these books are a perfect fit. I was NEVER not invested when reading these. Rachel Caine is a master here with keeping the plot racing and, in turn, your heart racing. Rachel Caine recently passed from cancer and I want to honor her work and life living on in these fantastic stories and characters she created.

This series follows Gwen Proctor and her family trying to live a normal life. What makes normal challenging is that Gwen was married to a serial killer. Gwen never knew what her husband was doing, but much of the public does not believe that. What follows are adventures of not only living with the fear of her husband still stalking her and her children, but also a violent, angry community out to harass and hurt the her and her children.

These books are powerful testaments to the danger of online hatred and abuse. In 2020, these books feel all too relevant still. I am so impressed with Caine's ability to place her hand on the pulse of the current effect of online trolls and conspiracy theories. For books delving into serial killers, serial killers are not the only factor that is scary here.

There are 5 books total in this series. Heartbreak Bay is set to be released in March 2021. The order is as follows:

  1. Stillhouse Lake
  2. Killman Creek
  3. Wolfhunter River
  4. Bitter Falls
  5. Heartbreak Bay

I will say these books get DARK. In fact, I am still troubled by some of the scenes that I read. I am not entirely comfortable with these scenes, but I think the overall impact of these books help me brave through those scenes. 

Probably the greatest strength of these books are the characters. I grew to care very much about the Proctor Family and Gwen is an absolute queen. I think if you latch on to these characters as I did and find yourself holding your breath through each intense scene, these books will be just as memorable for you as they were for me.

P.S. If you an a Kindle Unlimited member do not sleep on these! This is a great binge right at your fingertips. Confession: I got Kindle Unlimited for a short time just so I could read these. 

Comments